Colin and I took advantage of having Bonnie and Glenn in town. We took off for five days in Japan. I was looking forward to some fall weather including the leaves changing colors. Hong Kong has summer and not summer. There is almost winter, but not quite... Anyway, Japan was absolutely beautiful, but we were too early for any colors but green. We went into Osaka then took the train to Kyoto. Actually we took the train everywhere. From Kyoto we even got to take the bullet train to Odawara which was really only a transfer point to go on to Hakone. After two nights in Hakone we went on to Tokyo.
There wasn't a ton to see in Osaka, but I was glad we stopped there. They had a pretty interesting high rise there. Kyoto is known for it's shrines and temples and we were not disappointed. I really like the simplicity of Japanese architecture, especially after spending three years looking at the very ornate Chinese architecture. Hakone is a big tourist site for the Japanese. My favorite part was the open air sculpture museum. Take a look http://www.hakone-oam.or.jp/eng/ We also saw some sulfer pools (not my favorite). Just the transportation was fun. We started on an older train that actually had switch backs up the mountain. We switched to a train then a cable car, to a boat and last but not least a bus back to where we started from.
I was a little disappointed to miss seeing Mt. Fuji. We got to our Hotel in Tokyo in the afternoon. From the 36th floor we had a pretty good view of the city. The next morning , our last day in Japan, I opened the curtains and discovered we had a pretty good view of Mt. Fuji. By about 10:00 it fully engulfed in cloud cover. You would never know it was there.
3 comments:
How fun is this that we can now watch your kids grow up!!! Seeing as how we may never live on the same continent again let alone in the same state, I am really glad that you have started blogging.
Wow, that sounds like an awesome trip, so lucky that your in-laws were around. We have seen the Narita airport(on the way back from Cebu), but did not go beyond that. Come to think of it, technically I have been to Denver, Hong Kong, Auckland, and Japan-although not beyond their airports.....
How cool is that that the continents can't divide us. Sounds like you're having good times, Jeanetta. It sounds like some things are the same wherever you go (kids). Other things are way out of the ordinary like going to Kyoto (Sally, if you've been to the airport you've been to the country in my book). Ihave Adobe Connect set up now--I think we should all get it so we can talk and look at each other--which would be cool (except maybe on Monday mornings). Love to all, Sheri
Post a Comment